Divorce is something that can cause anxiety and pressure on both parties involved and the family. In addition, it can cause sufficient distancing between a parent and their children if not handled appropriately.
But where do you start if you are sure you’re ready for divorce?
After all, it’s the foundational factor for moving on with a healthy and happy life or living one filled with regret because you didn’t do your research.
In this article, you will learn what questions must be asked to your divorce lawyer that will get you prepared for this life-changing event. You will learn what questions to ask a divorce lawyer that gives confirmed proof and a road map on how to proceed.
Let’s move on and get started.
What is divorce?
This main seem self-explanatory however it is a good idea to touch on this quickly.
Divorce is the termination of a marriage or marital union. It is also necessary to point out that every state has its own legal requirements, on when they will or will not grant a divorce. Some examples can be grounds for divorce, residency, and other reasons.
When should you consider calling a divorce lawyer?
It’s hard to discuss, you’re not alone. Separation is a difficult thing. But if you realize that your communication has broken down and things are becoming increasingly volatile it can be one indicator it’s time to seek some professional help to make a decision.
At times the decision for divorce is mutual and is not threatening in any way.
But this does not mean you don’t do your research on the questions to ask a divorce lawyer. No matter the case, you need to be well informed on your options and available resources if you choose to file for divorce.
Your First Meeting With Your Divorce Lawyer
The first time you sit down with your divorce lawyer is the time you ask all your questions. Sure others will come up later, but this is the time that really helps you decide if they will be a good fit for you. Let’s dive into the top questions to ask your divorce lawyer.
What Are The Most Important Questions You Should Ask Your Divorce Lawyer?
You need to find out everything you need to know in order to make the right choice. When speaking with a divorce lawyer, make sure you’ve asked the following questions:
- What is Your Length of Practice? – This is very important as you can imagine. It’s important the lawyer has adequate experience in handling divorce. How much experience? Enough that makes you feel comfortable.
- Do They Specialize With Your Case Type? – What does this mean? It means that if your situation involves divorce that they have actually handled divorce cases. It seems simple enough but there are situations when just visiting a lawyer who understands the law but never actually handled a divorce case can occur. This is a waste of your time, so just make sure you ask.
- What Divorce Trial Experience do They Have? – Has your prospective divorce lawyer been in a trial situation before, where they have been successful? That’s important information you need to know. Some divorces and up in court right?
- Do They Have Experience in Negotiating for Settlements? – In a divorce, there are many cases where compromise can end things quickly before things boil over into more unnerving situations. You want to ask the questions to a divorce lawyer that will prove they can adapt to this scenario.
- Do They Recommend a Divorce Mediator? – Divorce mediation is a very successful way of settling things sometimes. It’s voluntary by both parties and can speed things up. Ask your divorce lawyer about there experience with this method.
If your divorce involves children, you’ll want to ask questions specific to child custody and child support as well.
- Does Your Lawyer Have Experience With Custody Disputes? – In many cases during divorce children are caught in the middle. Depending on the state different laws apply. If you have a child or children, this one question you cannot leave out? Illaraza Law has extensive knowledge and expertise in this matter, with a strong track record of positive results for parents.
- Can Your Divorce Lawyer help You with Child Support? – This is extremely important. Divorce instantly turns you into a single parent, and if you have custody you want to make sure you’re helped financially. Make sure to ask detailed questions on their approach.
- Does The Divorce Lawyer Have Experience With Your Particular Situation / Case? – What does this mean? It means, that if you’re getting a divorce because of mistreatment, they have handled divorces like that in the past? And, they were successful in getting the results the client wanted.
Questions about Timelines and Cost
- Can They give you a Projection of How long Divorce will Take? – In some cases, this is open and shut, but sometimes it can be difficult to determine. So don’t be discouraged if they can’t give you a hard date. But… it does not hurt to ask.
- Can The Lawyer Give You The Outcome? – This falls in line with the above scenario. It can depend on the circumstances. Still, it’s good to ask and see what they think.
- What is Your Divorce Lawyers Schedule? – Being able to contact your lawyer is important. You need to know what the rules are for you contacting them and how they handle meetings and phone calls.
- What Are Their Fees? – You must have a crystal clear picture, and document on fees and what is included and what might be extra. For example travel time, and specialized legal documents that may need to be created.
- What do they need from you exactly? – This sometimes is explained after you decide to move forward with the divorce lawyer. Knowing how to get organized and what records they need from you makes the process clear and less stressful for you.
- How do they Bill? – The last question is about billing and when payments need to be made. You want to have a well organized and an itemized way to see your charges and when those need to be paid. This helps keep things moving and on track.
Knowing the questions to ask a divorce lawyer is essential to getting through a difficult time with some clarity on where things are in your divorce and where you would like them to end up.
In this article, you have been introduced to ways of asking questions to a divorce lawyer in a way that gets you answers about going through a divorce.
You also learned the pitfalls you face if you don’t ask these questions. Illaraza Law has been serving the greater Dallas area and has offices in Flower Mound, TX; Lewisville, TX; and Mckinney, TX.